It all began in 1873 when members of the Society of Friends – for $5 per share of stock – formed the Malvern Library Company. In 1894, the “Public Library and Reading Association” was established by a citizens’ group, and in 1899, the Malvern Public Library was chartered. Since 1912 when the Library moved into the Borough Building, it has been associated with the Borough. It has been in its present location since 1985. In 2003, the Borough Building underwent a major renovation and expansion which added a reading room and children’s porch to the Library’s space.
Currently, the library houses over 36,000 physical items, 6 public computers, a children’s play area, an adult reading room, and a program room. The library has a staff of two full time librarians and ten part time library assistants. The Malvern Public Library is a member of the Chester County Library System.